Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Nails 101

My nails are very important to me because to me, nails are like an accessory that can compliment an outfit or simply make me feel good. Admit it ladies! Polished nails can give you an extra confidence boost!
Other than having my nails well polished, I like to keep them healthy. I don't always polish my nails because I like to let them breathe. The top layer of the nail is called the nail plate, and believe it or not, the tip of the nail is living tissue where oxygen penetrates to get to the nail bed. The nail bed is the second bottom layer in a nail. Also, nail polish has harsh chemicals which can dry the nails and make them less strong and less flexible. So on the bright side, not having your nails polished isn't always a bad thing.


Nails are also made up of keratin. What is keratin you may ask? Keratin is a fibrous protein forming the main structural constituent of hair. What? Yes! It's the same stuff hair is made of. So just like hair, nails need the same foods, nutrients, and care.
Did you know men's fingernails grow faster than women's nails. Nails grow on average of 3.5 millimeters per month. Toenails however, only grow 1.6 millimeters a month.
Nails can say a lot about you. Doctors can determine your overall health by just looking at your nails. Depending on the color of your nail bed, a doctor can determine life threatening-diseases. So with that being said, always pay attention to the color of your nails and if they're a funky color, hop onto the Internet and do some research!
There is so much to learn about fingernails. Like I said before, fingernails are an important part of the body, so take care of them! More Nail Facts!


No comments:

Post a Comment